Crenshaw County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent Counties|
|Crenshaw County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||November 24, 1866|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseCrenshaw County Courthouse
29 South Glenwood Avenue,
Luverne, AL 36049
Phone: (334) 335-6575
Probate Judge has marriage, probate and land records from 1866
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records.
1898 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- 1937-1957 - Crenshaw County, Alabama Colored Marriage Books O-P, 2 in "Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950," at FamilySearch.org - free.
Biographies of many notable residents of Crenshaw County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 766.
- Brantley City Cemetery
- Danielsville Baptist Church Cemetery
- Enon Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery
- Liberty Congregation Church Cemetery
- Mt. Zion Cemetery (Red Bay)
- Pleasant Home Baptist Church Cemetery
- Sasser Church of Christ Cemetery
- Sports Cemetery
- Springhill Cemetery
|Crenshaw County, Alabama|
For tips on accessing Crenshaw County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Crenshaw County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Crenshaw County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2008. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.136 E7b.
- Sport, Joe R. An Early History of Crenshaw County. n.d. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Bullard, Karen C. and Annette J. Connor. Census of Confederate Soldiers Residing in Alabama, 1907 in Pike, Bullock and Crenshaw Counties. n.d. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1867-1890, 1931-1951 - St. Clair County, Alabama Colored Marriage Books A-C, N-R in "Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950," at FamilySearch.org - free.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Crenshaw County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Crenshaw County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Crenshaw County p. 36. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Coverage Table, "Alabama County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," FamilySearch Research Wiki, https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Alabama_County_Marriages_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records), accessed 6 August 2012.