Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Crittenden County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 26, 1842|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Crittenden County Courthouse
107 S. Main Street Suite 202
Marion, KY 42064
1865, 1870--Disasters destroyed most records.
1880 Census--Crittenden County, Kentucky is missing about 1,500 people.
March 28, 1905 - Photo of "The Day After the Fire that Destroyed Much of Marion, Kentucky"
Places / Localities
|Irma||New Salem||Shady Grove||Weston|
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
Some of the best online Crittenden County cemetery resources are:
- Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- Ken Gilkey list of Crittenden Co., Ky Cemeteries
- Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb (Unmarked Burials)
Additional resources include:
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Crittenden County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Crittenden Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Crittenden County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Crittenden County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Crittenden County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- Crittenden Co., KY Court Minutes Records 1852-1860
- County Court Records (Some Records Fees Charged)
- Crittenden Co., Ky Deeds 1841-1901
- Crittenden Co., Ky Deeds 1847-1857
- Morre Crittenden Co., Ky. Court Records 1852-1860
- Crittenden Co., Court Excercts 1862
- Some Crittenden Court Records 1871-1884
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Fohs Hall Community Arts Foundation and Crittenden County Genealogical Society. Crittenden County, Kentucky History and Families. Marion, Ky.: Riverbend Pub., 1991. FHL Book 976.9893 H2c; Index: FHL Book 976.9893 H2c index
- Rawdon, Rebecca R. Crittenden County Families. West Valley City, Utah: R.R. Rawdon, 1992-. FHL Fiche 6104064
- [Asher] Coldiron, Kara Lee. Asher, a Partial Genealogy. Lincoln, Neb.: K.L. Coldiron, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 As35ck
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp
- [Cruce] Kidwiler, Pauline Cruce. Cruce Family Genealogical Records, 1829-1988 George Washington Cruce (1829-1912) on Down to 1988 as Nearly as Possible. MSS. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1320816 Item 7
- [Lynn] Taylor, Jessie Pope. Lynn, 1788-2000. Salem, Ky.: J.P. Taylor, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 L993; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Newcom] Newcom, Randall Hershel. The Family of Newton N. Newcom. Elizabethtown, Ky.: R.H. Newcom, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 6509
- [Rawlins] Talley, Gloria Jean and Leonard Carey Rawlins. One Family: Rawlings, Rawlins, Rollins. Newburgh, Ind.: First Cousins Family Reunion, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 R199tg
- [Shewmaker] Isakson, Oyjdal Shewmaker Marvel. Shewmaker-Shoemaker, Livingston and Crittenden County, Kentucky. Hobart, Ind.: Isakson, 1967. FHL Film 1320527 Item 8; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Tackwell] Koetting, Patricia G. Lowery and Jerome D. Koetting. Tackwell Genealogy. Rio Rancho, N. Mex.: J.D. and P.G. Koetting, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 T119k; digital version at Family History Archives.
- Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb Rev. War Soldiers
- Richard P'Pool's data base for Crittenden Co., Civil War Soldiers Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- Crittenden Co., Ky. Fallen WW1 Soldiers
- U.S. ARMY & ARMY AIR CORPS CASUALITIES WW II - CRITTENDEN Co., Kentucky, courtesy: USGenWeb Archives
- 1833-1968 - Will Books 1 to 3 (1833-1968) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Some Crittenden County Ky. marriage Records 1857-1868
- Some mg recs. 1905-1942 Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- Delayed Births from late 1800-1910
- Crittenden Co., Ky Births 1911-1930
- Ky. Death records 1911-2000
- (Some Ky Deaths) Browning Funeral Home Records
- Some Crittenden Co., Ky Death Certs., courtesy: Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- (Some Crittenden Co., KY Bible Records), courtesy: Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
- Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb 1860 Mortality
- Ky Vital Records Project
- Crittenden Co., Ky Unmarked Burials, courtesy: Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
- Crittenden County, Kentucky Library
- Crittenden County Genealogical Society, Inc.
- Crittenden County Historical Society, Inc.
Family History Centers
- Crittenden County, KYGenWeb
- Family History Library Catalog
- Linkpendium has links to many other sites. It is organized by subjects. Simply click on the name of the site you would like explore.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Crittenden County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)