Culberson County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Culberson County has had three courthouses. The county offices were first located in the Clark Hotel, the only permanent structure in Van Horn when the county was created in 1911. This temporary courthouse served the county until 1912, when a grand two-story brick courthouse was erected. The brick courthouse was torn down in the 1960s after the opening of the 1964 courthouse.
Culberson County Courthouse
P. O. Box 158
Van Horn, TX 79855
Culberson County Government Website
The first settlers arrived in 1882.
Kent | Pine Springs | Van Horn
Grisham Pumping Station | Levinson | Lobo | Old Christian Place | Ort | Pezuna del Caballo
- History of Van Horn and Culberson County, 1973, by Rosa Lee Wylie.
- Culberson County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Historic Photographs of Culberson County from the Clark Hotel Museum and the Portal to Texas History.
- El Paso County, 1881 (shows the portion that later became Culberson County), from the Culberson County TXGenWeb site
- El Paso County, 1900 (shows the portion that later became Culberson County), from the Culberson County TXGenWeb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
Societies and Libraries
- Culberson County TXGenWeb site. History, vital records and other information.
- Lobo, Texas website
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).