Litoměřice Regional Archives, Czech Republic Church Records
Back to Czech Republic Portal Page►
Church books of the Litoměřice Regional Archive that cover the time period 1552-1905 are being digitized and available on the FamilySearch website. The database is in English.
Church books contain baptisms (birth), marriage, and burial (death) information and are definitely the best source for identifying one’s relatives in the Czech Republic.
Entries are usually arranged in chronological order and, after 1784, in a columnar format. Sometimes, baptisms, marriages, and burials are kept all for all villages in a parish, for each year. Other times, each village has its own section of baptisms, marriages, and burials, listed chronologically. Some records are in preprinted forms. Most records include indexes. Czech church records are usually in one of three languages: Czech, German, or Latin.
While the books have been kept to the present, they are only available for research through 1905 because of privacy laws.
To read more about the records description click on the following link
Baptismal entries usually contain the following:
- names of the child, parents, godparents, and sometimes grandparents
- date and place of birth and baptism
- residence and religion of the parents
- whether the child was legitimate or illegitimate
Marriage entries usually contain the following:
- names of the bride, groom, their parents, witnesses, and sometimes grandparents
- date and place of marriage
- residence and religion of the bride and groom
- age, previous marital status, and occupation of bride and groom
Burial entries usually contain the following:
- names of the deceased and spouse/parents
- date and place of death and burial
- residence nd religion of the deceased
- age cause of death of the deceased
How to access the records online
Click on the following link to access baptisms, marriages and burials for localities:
Follow the instructions on the screen.