Dallam County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Dallam County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Dallam County Courthouse
PO Box 1352
Dalhart, TX 79022
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage and court records from 1891, divorce records from 1892,
probate records from 1900 and land records from 1876
Texline was named the county seat when Dallam County was organized in 1891. Ten years later the railroad came, and a new town, Dalhart, sprang up at the railroad crossing. In 1903, Dalhart became the county seat. Dallam County's first courthouse was built in 1891 in Texline. A second courthouse was built in Dalhart in 1903. The county's current courthouse, shown at right, was built in 1923.
Dallam County Courthouse
County & District Clerk - Terri Banks
P.O. Box 1352
Dalhart, Tx. 79022
1876--Dallam County was created 21 August 1876 from Bexar Land District, but was not organized until 1891. County seat: Dalhart 
Dalhart (partly in Hartley County) | Kerrick | Perico | Texline
- Dallam County Cemeteries - USGenWeb Tombstone Project
- FindAGrave - transcription and photographs
- Dallam County Cemeteries - TXGenWeb
Dalhart Churches - TXGenWeb
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Original Land Owners of Texas - USGenWeb Archives Project
Local histories are available for Dallam County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- The Book of Years: A History of Dallam and Hartley Counties, 1969, by Lillie Mae Hunter.
- Hartley County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Confederate Pension Applications - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Dallam County, Texas World War II Casualties Army and Air Force - Access Genealogy
- Heroes of WWII - TXGenWeb
- US Army Company A - 31st Battalion Fort Carson, CO, 21 Nov 1957 to 13 Jan 1958-TXGenWeb
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dallam County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Marriages Dallam County - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Divorces Dallam County - USGenWeb Archives Project
Societies and Libraries
420 Denrock Ave.
Dalhart, TX 79022
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- TXGenWeb - transcriptions and photographs
- USGenWeb Archives Project - transcriptions and photographs
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dallam County, Texas. Page 662 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).