Dallas County, Arkansas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Dallas County Courthouse; 206 West 3rd Street, Fordyce, AR 71742, (870)352-2307. Hours: Mon ~ Fri 8:30 - 4:30, except Holidays
The County of Dallas in Arkansas, was created on 1 January 1845 from Bradley and Clark Counties. It was named for George Mifflin Dallas, who was vice-president under President James Polk. Dallas County is bound on the north by Hot Spring and Grant Counties; On the east by Cleveland County; on the south by Calhoun and Ouachita Counties; and on the west by Clark County. Dallas County is well watered by the Ouachita River on its west border, on the east by Moro creek and through the center are Saline, Cypress and Tulip creeks. Many fine springs are found all through the county. There are also many Sulphur springs, which discharging many hundreds of gallons of water per day.
- 1845--Dallas County was created 1 January 1845 from Clark and Bradley Counties. County seat: Fordyce 
On the first US Census of the county in 1850, the following townships appeared: Moro, Champagne (Champagnolle), Polk, Jackson, Saline, Tulip, Owen, Manchester, Princeton, & Smith. In 1856, the townships of Champagne (Champagnolle), Moro and Polk went into the formation of Calhoun County. Later in 1873, Cleveland County annexed some of Dallas County. The County seat was located first at the house of Presley Watts, in Princeton, and then around 1910, it was moved to its present location of Fordyce.
Dallas County Courthouse:
206 West 3rd Street,
Fordyce, AR 71742,
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
Marriage Records, 1846-present (available online).
All others are available from the Dallas County Courthouse.
Societies and Libraries
- Dallas County Library; Main Branch: Online Catalog
501 East 4th Street, Fordyce, AR 71742-0584 (870)352-5600, (870) 352-3598 Fax.
- Dallas County Library; Fohrell Public Library:
186 Dallas 208, Sparkman, AR 71763-8720 (870) 352-2592, (870) 352-3598 Fax.
- Dallas County, ARGenWeb
- Family History Library Catalog
- Dallas County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).