Digitized Danish Records Online - Arkivalieronline
Danish Church Records Online - Arkivalieronline
In the fall of 2002 the Danish State Archives (with the support of the Ministry of Culture) began to digitize the Parish Records of the Danish Lutheran State Church and the National Censuses. The images have been scanned from microfilm and fiche sources. The digital images are available for free through Arkivalieronline on the internet at: [http://www.arkivalieronline.dk/].
The project leaders decided to scan all the church records up to 1892. They also chose to use Java (Sun Microsystems) as the viewer for accessing the digital images. You can download Java for free at: [http://www.java.com/en/]
You can learn about the project and how to use the website by clicking on “English” from the home page. The homepage itself and all the screens with the website can only be used in Danish.
Register to use the site.
You must be a registered user to access the digital images. Start by clicking on “Brugerprofil” (User Profile) found under Login. Fill in the requested fields.
Here’s a translation of the field headings:
• Fornavn - Given Name
• Efternavn - Surname
• Adresse - Street Address
• Postnr. - Zip Code
• By - City
• Land - Country
• Your e-mail address
After filling in all the fields click on Oprette (Register). After clicking on Oprette, you get a message which confirms you are registered. It also states that your password will be sent to the e-mail address you provided.
Your e-mail address becomes your username and you must use the password provided by Arkivalieronline. Be aware that the password is case sensitive, and must be typed in exactly as they gave it to you. Pay attention to the lower case l as opposed to the number 1, the 0 or the capital O and so on.
Sign in and use the site.
1. Go to the homepage at: [http://www.arkivalieronline.dk/]. Type in your E-mail address (which is your username), followed by the Password (provided by Arkivalieronline).
2. Click on “Login”. Your screen will blink once it logs in, only to see the exact same homepage except for a message in red in the Login window. The message says: You are logged in as (showing your e-mail address).
3. Click on Kirkebøger (Churchbooks), and then on Søg i kirkebøger (Search in the churcbooks).
4. Choose the desired Amt (county) from the drop down menu.
5. Choose the Sogn (parish) from the drop down menu.
After choosing the parish you will see a table listing the available records with the associated span of years for the desired parish. The Tabeloversigt (Key to abbreviations) is listed as:
• F Fødte - Birth and Christenings
• K Konfirmerede – Confirmations
• V Viede – Marriages
• D Døde - Death and Burials
• J Jævnførelser - General Index
• A Afgangslister - Moving out record
• T Tilgangslister - Moving In record
The column headings are:
• Sogn – Parish
• Herred – District
• Amt – County
• Tekt – Text
• Fra – Beginning
• Til – Ending
Searching the Images
Click on the name of the parish found under the column “Tekst” for the years you need. You will see a notice that Java is running. The next screen appears as a big blank screen with a column of red dots followed by the word Opslag and a number. The Opslag number is a post reference to the image from the microfilm. When you click on a specific Opslag the image downloads to your computer which then appears on your screen. From here you can scroll through each image just as you would on a microfilm. You can zoom in and out on the image by changing the settings of the number by the % symbol. You can save the image to your computer. When finished close the viewer window, and log off from the home page.
• High speed internet is recommended for optimum performance.
• You may run into problems with the viewer depending on your operating system.
• They do not enhance the digital images from the microfilm. If the microfilming was poor, it carries over to the digital image.