Davidstow, Cornwall Genealogy
DAVIDSTOW (St. David), a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Camelford.
Davidstow (Cornish: Lanndhewi) St David is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Other places in the parish include: Tremaill.
Davidstow' means David's Place and according to legend the church was founded by Saint David in the 6th century, whilst visiting his mother at nearby Altarnun. The church is large but was very much restored in 1875 so that little original work remains inside. Both the nave and the east windows are wider than usual in a Cornish church; a few benchends are interesting, one portrays a bagpiper. The parish is part of the group in the charge of the Rector of Boscastle.
The Parish is nowadays part of the Boscatle with Davidstow United Benefice in the Diocese of Truro.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Davidstow, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Davidstow, Cornwall Genealogy Parish Online Records|
Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P 46
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/davidstow.php which contains several images of the church.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241262.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county] Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down the article to the seciotn Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 15-23. Date accessed: 11 March 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.