Difference between revisions of "Dawson County, Georgia Genealogy"
(added cty map)
(added newspaper intro)
|Line 68:||Line 68:|
==== Military ====
==== Military ====
==== Newspapers ====
==== Probate ====
==== Probate ====
Revision as of 16:19, 20 May 2013
Guide to Dawson County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dawson County, Georgia_(state)|
Location in the state of Georgia_(state)
Location of Georgia_(state) in the U.S.
|Founded||December 3, 1857|
|Address|| Dawson County Courthouse|
PO Box 192
Dawsonville, GA 30534-0192
Dawson County Website
- 1 Dawson County Georgia Courthouse
- 2 Dawson County Georgia History
- 3 Dawson County Georgia Places/Localities
- 4 Dawson County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- 5 Dawson County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Dawson County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Dawson County Georgia Genealogy References
Dawson County Georgia Courthouse
County Clerk has divorce, court and land records
Dawson County Georgia History
Local histories are available for Dawson County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Dawson County Georgia Places/Localities
Dawson County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Dawson County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Dawson County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1857-1862 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns, Books D and E, 1835-1854 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Wills, Guardians, Administrators, Bonds, Bk B 1857-1896 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1858-1883 - Dawson County Marriage Index 1858-1883. Batch M712631 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1962 - Dawson County Marriage Index 1883-1962. Batch M712632 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-70, 1879-80 - Dawson County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Dawson County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Dawson County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Dawson County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneer
Dawson County Georgia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Dawson County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.