Day County, South Dakota Genealogy
|Day County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||October 1, 1879|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Day County; 710 W 1st St; Webster, SD 57274-1391; Ph. 605.345.3771 Details: (Organized 2 Jan 1882) (Reg of Deeds has b & d rec from 1905, land rec from 1879 & bur rec from 1930; Co Treas has m rec from 1880; Clk Ct has div & ct rec from 1885 & pro rec from 1898)
- 1879--Day County was created 1 October 1879 from Greeley, Eliminated 1 Oct. 1879, and Stone, Eliminated 1 Oct. 1879, Counties.
County seat: Webster 
A portion of the Lake Traverse Indian Reservation is in Day County. The remainder of the reservation is in Marshall, Roberts, and Codington Counties in South Dakota and in Richland and Sargent Counties in North Dakota.
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).