DeKalb County, Georgia Genealogy
- 1 County Government Website
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Government Website
See Georgia Counties: Their Changing Boundaries (Georgia Archives)
1842 and 1898 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Cities: Atlanta, Avondale Estates, Chamblee, Clarkston, Decatur, Doraville, Dunwoody, Lithonia, Pine Lake, Stone Mountain.
- Communities: Belvedere Park, Candler-McAfee, Druid Hills, Gresham Park, North Druid Hills, Toco Hills, Panthersville, Redan, Scottdale, Tucker, Briarcliff, Brookhaven, Collinsville, Conley, Constitution, Ellenwood, Embry Hills, Mechanicsville, Mountain View, Northlake, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Skyland, Turner Hill, Adair Park, Belmont, Carver Hills, College Heights, Columbia Park, Cross Keys, Edgewood, Emory, Flat Rock, Klondike, Kirkwood, Lenox Place, Lynwood Park, Medlock, Montreal, Nelms, Parkwood, Pea Ridge, Rehoboth, Rock Chapel, Shermantown, Silver Lake, Smokerise, Stonehaven, Sundown, Winnona Park.
- Register of Free Persons of Color, Freeman record (DeKalb History Center) - provides the names, ages, birth places, residences, and brief descriptions of all free African-Americans residing in DeKalb County from 1851-1864.
- DeKalb County Cemeteries (Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project) - Provides a partial list of DeKalb cemeteries along with location information and transcriptions.
- Cemetery Database (DeKalb History Center) - On-line database of Frank Garrett's 1930s cemetery records for DeKalb County. Records are indexed by surname and cemetery name.
- Cemeteries Collection (DeKalb History Center) - A collection of photographs documenting approximately 40 cemeteries.
- Cemetery Subject Files (DeKalb History Center) - Listing of cemetery subject files available at the DeKalb History Center.
- Find a Grave - User-submitted data and photographs of DeKalb cemeteries.
- Methodist Episcopal Church Records, 1854-1965 (FamilySearch) - Includes membership, baptisms, and marriages for Clarkston, Wesley Chapel, Belmont, and Tucker churches.
- Rehoboth Baptist Church Records, 1854-1932 (Family Search) - Microfilm of original records held at the Georgia Archives.
- Religion Subject Files (DeKalb History Center) - Listing of available subject files for DeKalb County churches.
- Photograph Subject Files (DeKalb History Center) - Listing of available photographs of DeKalb County churches.
- Redan United Methodist Church Records, 1894-1994 (DeKalb History Center) - Church conference and various committee records.
- Covenant Presbyterian Church Records, 1972-1973 (DeKalb History Center) - Church bulletins and correspondence for this Clarkston, Georgia congregation.
- DeKalb County Superior Court Minutes/Book A, 1836-1843 (DeKalb History Center) - Index of all cases tried by the Superior Court during this time period, case records available at the DeKalb History Center.
- Index of DeKalb Inferior Court Records, 1823-1859 (FamilySearch)
- DeKalb County Minutes of Ordinary Court and Inferior Court, 1823-1901 (FamilySearch) - includes index.
- DeKalb County Superior Court Minutes, 1836-1905 (FamilySearch) - includes index.
- Decatur City Court Minute Books, 1923-1956 (DeKalb History Center) - Incomplete records from this time period, specific dates listed in finding aid.
- DeKalb County Civil Court Criminal Docket Book, 1957 (DeKalb History Center)
- DeKalb County Justice of the Peace Records, 1880-1960 (DeKalb History Center) - Contains civil proceedings and criminal suits by multiple justices.
- DeKalb County Superior Court Records, 1860-1910 (DeKalb History Center)
Deed books and indexes that survived the courthouse fires are available on the ground floor of the DeKalb County Courthouse in the Clerk of the Superior Court, Real Estate Division. Land records found at the courthouse date from approximately 1840 to the present.
- 1821 Georgia Land Lottery for DeKalb County Indexes (DeKalb History Center) - Lottery winners are indexed by Grantee, County of Residence, Military District, and Land District.
- Index of DeKalb County Land Records, 1821-1903 (DeKalb History Center) - Limited to transfers of 50 or more acres with some exceptions, index by grantor, grantee, and land lot.
- Deeds and mortgages, 1842-1905, with grantee and grantor index, 1840-1910 (FamilySearch)
- DeKalb County Land Title Abstracts (DeKalb History Center) - Finding aid includes list of surnames and land lots.
- Selected Deeds (Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project)
- The history of DeKalb County, Georgia : 1822-1900 by Vivian Price - Includes maps and an index.
- Historic DeKalb County: An Illustrated History by Vivian Price
Societies and Libraries
- DeKalb History Center - Local historical society with online databases for cemetery, marriage, land, and military records.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- DeKalb County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- "Johann de Kalb," Wikipedia.
- Georgia Counties: Their Changing Boundaries
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).