DeWitt County, Illinois Genealogy
|DeWitt County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||March 1, 1839|
|Illinois Regional Archives Depository, Illinois State Archives|
|Address|| DeWitt County Building|
201 W. Washington Street
Clinton, Illinois 61727
DeWitt County Website
- 1 County Organization
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Records and Resources
- 3.1 Biography
- 3.2 Cemeteries
- 3.3 Census
- 3.4 Church Records
- 3.5 Court Records
- 3.6 Directories
- 3.7 Ethnic Research
- 3.8 Genealogy
- 3.9 History
- 3.10 Land and Property
- 3.11 Maps
- 3.12 Military History and Records
- 3.13 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.14 Newspapers and Obituaries
- 3.15 Probate Records
- 3.16 Repositories
- 3.17 Social Groups Online
- 3.18 Societies
- 3.19 Vital Records
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
|Beginning Dates for DeWitt County Records|
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for DeWitt County are kept, see the DeWitt County Courthouse page
DeWitt County, like Clinton County, is named for DeWitt Clinton who was the Governor of New York and chief promoter of the Erie Canal.
To see a list of places in DeWitt County, click on [Show] in the bar, above. The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
Records and Resources
- witt.htm DeWitt Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
For tips on accessing census records online, see Illinois Census.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, DeWitt County on page 186.]
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
- Portrait and Biographical Album of DeWitt and Piatt Counties, Illinois. Chicago: Chapman Brothers Publishing Company, 1891. FHL film 934981 Item 3
For DeWitt County portion only DeWitt Co. ILGenWeb
Land and Property
Copies of original records are available:
1839-1875 Deed Records IRAD- ISU
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from DeWitt County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Dewitt County.
- - 39th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company D and Company I.
- - 41st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C, Company F and Company K.
- -68th Regiment, Illinois Infantry,Company E
- -107th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A, Company B, Company D, Company F, and Company I
- -140th Regiment Illinois, Infantry, Company H
- -145th regiment Illinois, Infantry, Company G
1865-1939 Military Discharge Record, Civil War. IRAD-ISU
Naturalization and Citizenship
1866-1903 Naturalization Records, County Court. IRAD-ISU
Newspapers and Obituaries
1873-1894 Probate Administrator's Accounts IRAD-ISU
- Inventory of the county archives of Illinois, no.20, Historical Record Survey FHL film 908545 Item 4
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for DeWitt County are kept, see the DeWitt County Courthouse page.
Family History Library
Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Universtiy
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
This library has extensive DeWitt County only extractions of many census. They have marriage index. They publish a quarterly Journal with extracts about people from old newspapers that include births, marriages and funerals. The also include little family notices about who was visiting who and who was at weddings and other family news items.
Social Groups Online
DeWitt County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 632
Clinton, Illinois 61717-0632
1845-1851 Taxable Land Lists. IRAD-ISU
1888-1897 Road Tax Lists, Delinquent IRAD-ISU
1894-1911 Road Tax List. IRAD-ISU
1877-1905 Birth Records. IRAD-ISU
1880-1930 Birth Certificates, Delayed. IRAD-ISU
1924-1958 Cirth Certificates. IRAD-ISU
1860-1950 Birth Records Index, Delayed. IRAD-ISU
1877-1959 Birth Records Index. IRAD-ISU
1839-1955 Marriage Record. IRAD-ISU
1876-1935 Marriage License Applications. IRAD-ISU
1839-1949 Marriage record Index. IRAD-ISU
1878-1917 Death Records. IRAD-ISU
1886-1957 Death Certificates. IRAD-ISU
1878-1962 Death Record Index. IRAD-ISU
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- DeWitt County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)