Deaf Smith County, Texas Genealogy
|Deaf Smith County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 21, 1876|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Deaf Smith County Courthouse
235 E. 3rd St., Room 203
Hereford, TX 79045-5515
Phone 806-363-7077 - 806-364-1746
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage, probate and court records from 1891,
land records from 1882 and military discharge records
from 1919; District Clerk has divorce records and doctor
records from 1903
The County Clerk's Office is the record keeper of the county. The county records include birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, military discharges, land records, real estate records, property records, probate and civil filings.
The Deaf Smith County Clerk has court records, land records, probate records and marriage records from 1890, as well as birth and death records from 1903.
Deaf Smith County was named for Erastus "Deaf" Smith, a famous scout of the Texas Revolution.
Ayr | Bippus | Bootleg | Dawn | Ford | Glenrio | Hereford | Kelso | LaPlata | Milo Center | Simms | Westway | Wyche
Cities, Towns and Communities - Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
- Ira Aten Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
- Jim Cook Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
- Deaf Smith Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
- Cemeteries of Deaf Smith County - TXGenWeb
- Deaf Smith County - TXGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
USGenWeb Census Project - Deaf Smith County, TX
- Deaf Smith County History - TXGenWeb
- The land and its people, 1876-1981: Deaf Smith County, Texas, 1982 by the Deaf Smith County Historical Society, a history book featuring local history, photographs, illustrations, and biographies. Digital book online from The Portal to Texas History.
- A History of Deaf Smith County, 1964, by Bessie Patterson. Digital book on line from the Portal to Texas History.
- Deaf Smith County History from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenweb site
- Military Files for Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
- Civil War Links, USGenWeb Archives
- Draft Registration, USGenWeb Archives
- World War II Missing and Dead; Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
- Korean War Fatal Casualties; Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
- Vietnam War Fatal Casualties; Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Photographs relating to Deaf Smith Co, TXGenWeb
The Deaf Smith County Clerk probate records. They are located at 235 E. 3rd St., Room 203, Hereford, TX 79045-5515; Telephone: 806-363-7077 .
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Deaf Smith County Library
211 E 4th St
Hereford, TX 79045
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Deaf Smith County, Texas. Page 662 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handbook of Texas Online: Deaf Smith County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcd04