Delaware Indian Agency (Kansas)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Delaware Agency was established in 1855 for the Delaware Indians of eastern Kansas, previously under the jurisdiction of the Kansas Agency, and before 1851, the Fort Leavenworth Agency and its predecessors. The Delaware Tribe agreed to purchase a piece of land in Indian Territory from the Cherokee Nation, and by 1869, most of the Delawares had moved there and were assigned to the Cherokee Agency. Some had settled on land within the jurisdiction of the Neosho Agency.
Some Stockbridge and Munsee Indians lived with the Delawares for a time, but by 1859, they were with the Chippewa at the Sac and Fox Agency. The Wyandot Indians were transferred from the Shawnee Agency to the Delaware Agency in 1863 and remained with them until the move to Indian Territory, when they came under the Neosho Agency.
A band of Delaware had left the main tribe in the early part of the 19th century and had gone to Texas to live with the Caddo Indians. They were never a part of the Delaware Agency. In 1859, this band moved to Indian Territory and were assigned to the Wichita Agency. Other small groups of Delaware also left the main tribe and settled in other areas.
Agents and Appointment Dates
Benjamin F. Robinson March 3, 1855, Thomas B. Sykes (Special) May 3, 1859, Thomas B. Sykes (agent) March 12, 1860, Fielding Johnson March 27, 1861, and John G. Pratt April 14, 1864 
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Crow Wing Subagency, 1855-1873, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, Rolls 274-280. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll numbers 1661004-1661010.
Delaware Agency Book, 1866-1867. FHL film: 989205 item 1
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, pp. 59-60.
- The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M234, p. 8.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.