To get started in American Indian Research
The Delaware Indians were originally known as the Lenape or Lenni Lenape Indians, the name they called themselves. The American colonists named them the Delaware Indians.
Clans: Tukwsi-t, the wolf; Pukuwanku, the turtle; and Pele, the turkey
Original homelands: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware
- 1 Tribal Headquarters
- 2 History
- 3 Records
- 4 Important Web Sites
- 5 References
- 6 Bibliography
The Delaware Nation is currently found primarily in western Oklahoma.
P.O. Box 825
Anadarko, OK 73005
31064 State Highway #281
Anadarko, OK 73005
- The Delaware Nation Official Website
The Delaware or Lenape were forced to cede lands and migrate many times.
- 1600's: First contact was with the Dutch
- 1638: Swedish lived moved into the Delaware Bay area
- 1682: Treaty with William Penn.
- 1700's: Tribal members began to settle along the Ohio River
- 1789: some removed to Missouri and later to Arkansas
- 1800: Many migrate to Indiana
- 1820: Some moved to Texas
- 1835: Many members resettled in Kansas
- 1859: Delaware tribal members living in Texas removed to western Oklahoma
- 1867: Tribe began to settle west of the Mississippi River some removed to Canada
- 1867: Delaware tribal members living in Kansas move to eastern Oklahoma and purchase rights in the Cherokee Nation. In 1890 become Cherokee citizens
Additional Reference to the History of the Tribe
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Delaware tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods. Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
Ohio History Central article on the Delaware Indians
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M234 RG 75
M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Delaware||Anadarko Area Office, 1881-1962||Fort Worth||-||-||Rolls 218-23||-|
|Delaware, Kansas||Fort Leavenworth Agency, 1824-1962||Washington D.C.||Rolls 300-03||-||-||-|
|Delaware, Kansas||Kansas Agency, 1851-55||Washington D.C.||Rolls 364-70||-||-||-|
|Delaware, Kansas||Delaware Agency, 1855-73||Washington D.C.||Rolls 274-80||-||-||-|
|Delaware,Indian Terr.||Cherokee Agency, 1867-74||Washington D.C.||Rolls 101-12||-||-||-|
|Delaware, Indian Terr.||Union Agency, 1875-80||Washington D.C.||Rolls 865-77||-||-||-|
Indian Pioneer Papers
In 1936, the Oklahoma Historical Society and University of Oklahoma requested a writer's project grant from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in which interviews would be conducted with early settlers in Oklahoma who had lived on Indian land. More than 100 writers conducted over 11,000 interviews and were asked to "call upon early settlers and (record) the story of the migration to Oklahoma and their early life here."  The University of Oklahoma Western History Collection has digitized the Indian Pioneer Papers which consists of approximately 80,000 indexed entries arranged alphabetically by personal name, place name, or subject.  An index to the Indian Pioneer Papers may also be found at OkGenWeb Oklahoma Genealogy. A separate index of Indians interviewed, including the Delaware, may be viewed at: “Indians in the Indian Pioneer Papers” Two surnames from the Delaware tribe found in the collection are: Ketchum and Zeigler (Ketchum).
- Blackburn, Bob L. "Battle Cry for History: The First Century of the Oklahoma Historical Society." n.d. Oklahoma Historical Society. 5 Oct. 1998.
- The University of Oklahoma Western History Collections http://digital.libraries.ou.edu/whc/pioneer/
1682: Treaty with William Penn
Important Web Sites
- Constitution of the Delaware Nation of Oklahoma
- Brief history of the Delaware Indians in Ohio
- The Delaware Nation Official Website
- Official Website of the Delaware Tribe of Indians
- Delaware Tribe Web Site
- Delaware Tribe Wikipedia
- Lenape Wikipedia
Weslager, C.A., The Delaware Indians: A History, Rutgers University Press (1972), hardcover, 546 pages, WorldCat 282073
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published