Delta County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Delta County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Delta County Courthouse
200 W Dallas Avenue
Cooper, TX 75432
County Clerk has birth, probate, and court records from 1903,
marriage records from 1870, death records from 1916 and land records
Sometimes referred to as the Vetch Capital of the World. The first settlers arrived in the early 1840's.
See an interactive map of Delta County border changes.
1899--The Delta County Courthouse at Cooper was destroyed by fire on 9 March 1899. Nearly all of the county records were stored in a fireproof vault and were saved. Records in the district clerk's office, probably records on current cases, were destroyed.
Antioch | Ben Franklin | Charleston | Cooper | Crossroads | Friendship | Horton | Jot Em Down (partly in Hunt County) | Kensing | Klondike | Lake Creek | Mt. Joy | Pacio | Pecan Gap | Prattville | Racetrack | Rattan | Yowell (partly in Hunt County)
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Delta County Cemetery List TXGenWeb
- FindAGrave - transcriptions and photographs
- Horton Cemetery - Interment.net
- Delta County Cemeteries maps, trancriptions, information
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Original Land Owners of Texas - USGenWeb Archives Project
Land Indices - TXGenWeb
Local histories are available for Delta County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Fighting Men of Delta County - USGenWeb
- Military Honorable Discharge Records - USGenWeb
- Army and Air Force Casualties - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Honor List of Dead and Missing - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Veteran's Record Book - TXGenWeb
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Delta County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has The Paris News from 1925 that may include residents from Delta County.
Obituaries of Delta County - TXGenWeb
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Delta County Marriage Records - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Divorces - USGenWeb Archives Project
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Delta County, Texas. Page 662 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Cooper, TX Delta County Courthouse Fire, Mar 1899 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17957/cooper-tx-delta-county-courthouse-fire-mar-1899