Democratic Republic of the Congo Genealogy
Formerly the Belgian colony of the Belgian Congo, the country's post-independence name was the Republic of the Congo until August 1, 1964, when its name was changed to Democratic Republic of the Congo (to distinguish it from the neighboring Republic of the Congo). On October 27, 1971, then-President Mobutu renamed the country Zaire, from a Portuguese mispronunciation of the Kikongo word nzere or nzadi, which translates to "the river that swallows all rivers." Following the First Congo War which led to the overthrow of Mobutu in 1997, the country was renamed Democratic Republic of the Congo. See https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/cg.html
Articles that Need Editing
- Article 1
- Article 2
- Article 3
New Articles Needed
- coming soon...
Did You Know?
- Congo means hunter.
- AFR-CONGO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Republic of the Congo. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- AfricaGenWeb for the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- African and Middle Eastern Reading Room
- Congo Genealogy
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Congo Democratic Republic
Featured Training Modules
- coming soon...Template:DRCongo-stub