Denton, Sussex Genealogy
DENTON (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Newhaven, hundred of Bishopstone, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, l½ mile (N.E.) from Newhaven. 
Denton St Leonard is an Ancient Parish; the parish is now a suburb of Newhaven East Sussex see Denton Wikipedia
A history of the church is available at Sussex Parish Churches Denton St Leonard
The church of St Leonard Denton has been designated asa grade II* listed building British listed building
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 this parish was in Lewes Registration District
Certificates may be obtained from
The Register Office
Phone: 01323 464780
Fax: 01323 431386
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Denton
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464161.
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 28-32. Date accessed: 07 October 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.