Denton Christ Church, Lancashire Genealogy
A church district, comprising part of the township of Denton, and part of that of Haughton, and called Christ-Church, was formed in April, 1846, under the act 6 and 7 Victoria. The Wesleyans and others have places of worship.
Christ Church Denton, partly in Haughton was a chapelry created in 1846, laying within the boundaries of Ashton under Lyne.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online transcriptions exist for Denton St George, Danebank Chapelry and its other(two) chapelries that comprise this township--all of which stand within the ancient parish boundary of Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys Cathedral. To access these online transcriptions of baptisms, marriages and burials you can view them at the web sites indicated below at no cost; note the range of years:
To view a full list of (over 150) chapelries and district churches comprising the ancient parish of Manchester (Cathedral), and to see a list of links to each one, visit the MANCHESTER (CATHEDRAL) OUR LADY, ST GEORGE ST DENYS page. Original Records Original parish (chapelry) registers are housed at the Manchester Central Library archives.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438733.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
== Maps and Gazetteers ==
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 28-32.