Deptford St Paul, Kent Genealogy
DEPTFORD, a town, in the union of Greenwich, partly in the E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, but principally in the hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 4 miles (E.) from LondonIn 1730, the town was divided into the two parishes of St. Nicholas and St. Paul the latter extends into the county of Surrey.
DEPTFORD St Paul, was created a parish in 1730 and is situated 4 miles east of London.
St Paul's included only a part of the town and extended into and incorporated the chapelry of Hatcham in Surrey (county).
There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Unitarians.
The following chapels of ease and district church were attached to or associated with Deptford St Paul's:
- St John Church - 1854
- Christ Church mission - 1864
- St Peter - 1867
- Hatcham St James - 1845
The foundation stone of the Royal Naval school at Counter Hill, was laid June 1st, 1843. There are two almshouses belonging to the Corporation of the Trinity House, for decayed pilots and masters of ships, or their widows: one, in Church-street, was built about the close of the seventeenth century, and contains 56 apartments, forming a spacious quadrangle. Deptford is a district of South London partly in the London boroughs of Lewisham and Greenwich Deptford Wikipedia.<br>
The Ecclesiastical parish of Deptford St Paul was formed in 1730 from parts of Hatcham, Surrey and Deptford St Nicholas, Kent Ancient Parishes. It was partly in Kent and partly in Surrey see St Paul's Deptford Wikipedia and a Deptford history parish and church history
The modern parish is in the Diocese of Southwark; a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The church of St Paul Deptford High Street has been designated as a grade A listed buildingBritish listed building
See Edward Hasted The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 1 (1797), pp. 340-371 at British History Online
See Deptford North West Kent Family History Society for Anglican and other places of worship in Deptford including parish boundary maps Deptford St Paul and New Cross North West Kent Family History Society
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Family History Library film numbers
Deptford St Paul
See also England, Kent, Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.
Images for Deptford St Paul are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306880.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Date accessed: 22 July 2013.
- Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Adapted. Date accessed: 23 March 2012.
- Lewis. Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Adapted. Date accessed: 23 March 2012.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Paul, Deptford in Lewisham Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Deptford St Paul in Lewisham Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Deptford St Paul in Lewisham Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Deptford St Paul in Lewisham Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C006302-C006303, P006301, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- Batch M006301, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.