Derby All Saints, Derbyshire Genealogy
DERBY, a borough and market-town, possessing separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, of which it is the capital, 16 miles west from Nottingham, 27 miles northwest from Leicester, and on the high road to Manchester, and, including parts of certain parishes which extend beyond the limits of the borough. The town comprises the parishes, chapels and chapelries of:
- All Saints - 1558
- Codnor Chapelry - 1843 (partly in Heanor and Pentrich par.)
- St Alkmund - 1538
- Darley-Abbey Chapelry - by 1819
- Little Eaton Chapelry - 1738
- St Paul's Chapelry - 1844
- St Michael's - 1559
- Alvaston - 1614
- St Peter - 1558
- Boulton Chapelry - 1662
- Litchurch Chapel - 1863
- Normanton Chapelry - 1840
- St Andrews Chapelry- 1864
- St James the Great Chapelry - 1867
- Trinity Church - 1836
- St Werburgh - 1562
- Christ Church - 1850
- St John Chapelry - by 1870
- St Luke - 1868
There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans (New and Old Connexion), New Jerusalemite, Presbyterian, Swedenborgians, and Unitarians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1839. The Roman Catholics have also built a handsome structure as a residence for the Sisters of Mercy, and for a chapel and schools. A general cemetery was opened in 1843.
The union workhouse is situated in Litchurch, in that portion of the parish of St.Peter which is without the borough. Remains of St. Mary's chapel, supposed to have been the church of St Mary given by William the Conqueror to the abbey of Burton, still exist: the chapel, in the time of Charles II., was used by the Presbyterians, but was subsequently converted into small tenements.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Derby All Saints (Derby Cathedral) Irongate included the chapelry of Quarndon, Derbyshire until 1821
Derbyshire Record Office reference D 3372 has deposited registers Bap 1558-1947 Mar 1558-1945 Burials 1558-1855 Banns 1754-1823, 1854-1914
The Family History Library has just about all of the above listed chapelry and parish registers on microfilm in its collections (see "Church History" above). These may be viewed mostly online at FamilySearch and those not yet indexed, the original registers may be ordered for and researched at any one of FamilySearch's 4,600 FamilySearch Centers worldwide.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241300.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Date accessed: 02 July 2013.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.