Derby St Alkmund, Derbyshire Genealogy
Derby St Alkmund is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Derbyshire. Other places in the parish include: Little Chester. The town of Derby comprises the parishes of All Saints, St. Werburgh, St. Alkmund, St. Peter, and St. Michael. The old church of St. Alkmund's was taken down, and a new one commenced in the beginning of 1844 on an enlarged scale. The chapelries of Little Eaton and Darley are in this parish, though without the limits of the borough; and a church district named St. Paul's was endowed in St. Alkmund's in 1844 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
Derby township was comprised by 1880, of the following associated parishes, chapels and chapelries:
- All Saints - 1558
- Codnor Chapelry - 1843 (partly in Heanor and Pentrich par.)
- St Alkmund - 1538
- Darley-Abbey Chapelry - by 1819
- Little Eaton Chapelry - 1738
- St Paul's Chapelry - 1844
- St Michael's - 1559
- Alvaston - 1614
- St Peter - 1558
- Boulton Chapelry - 1662
- Litchurch Chapel - 1863
- Normanton Chapelry - 1840
- St Andrews Chapelry- 1864
- St James the Great Chapelry - 1867
- Trinity Church - 1836
- St Werburgh - 1562
- Christ Church - 1850
- St John Chapelry - by 1870
- St Luke - 1868
There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans (New and Old Connexion), New Jerusalemite, Presbyterian, Swedenborgians, and Unitarians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1839. The Roman Catholics have also built a handsome structure as a residence for the Sisters of Mercy, and for a chapel and schools. A general cemetery was opened in 1843.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This parish originally included the township chapelry of Darley Abbey, Derbyshire until 1846. The parish united with Derby St Werburgh, Derbyshire in 1984. The register series for 1712-1802 contain many Quarndon, Derbyshire entries.
Derbyshire Record Office reference D 916 has deposited registers Bap 1538-1968 Mar 1538-1967, 1972-1983 Burials 1538-1855 Banns 1895-1967
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241300.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 32-46. Date accessed: 30 June 2103.