Derby St Peter, Derbyshire Genealogy
Guide to Derby St Peter, Derbyshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Derby St Peter, Derbyshire|
|Hundred||Derby Borough; Morlestone and Litchurch|
|Poor Law Union||Derby|
|Registration District||Derby; Shardlow|
|Parish registers: 1558; Separate registers exist for Derby Christ Church beginning 1844 and for Derby Holy Trinity beginning 1837|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1662; Separate records exist for Derby Christ Church beginning 1848 and for Derby Holy Trinity beginning 1838|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Derbyshire Record Office|
Derby St Peter is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Derbyshire. Normanton, Derbyshire is a chapelry of Derby St Peter. Other places in the parish include: Derby Holy Trinity, Litchurch, and Derby Christ Church. The parochial church is ancient, but of uncertain date. There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans (New and Old Connexion), Swedenborgians, and Unitarians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1839. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
DERBY, St Peter by 1870 comprised the following chapels and chapelries:
- St Peter - 1558
- Boulton Chapelry - 1662
- Litchurch Chapel - 1863
- Normanton Chapelry - 1840
- St Andrews Chapelry- 1864
- St James the Great Chapelry - 1867
- Trinity Church - 1836
Other Derby township chapels and chapelries were associated with St Peter's by proximity as follows:
- All Saints - 1558
- Codnor Chapelry - 1843 (partly in Heanor and Pentrich par.)
- St Alkmund - 1538
- Darley-Abbey Chapelry - by 1819
- Little Eaton Chapelry - 1738
- St Paul's Chapelry - 1844
- St Michael's - 1559
- Alvaston - 1614
- St Werburgh - 1562
- Christ Church - 1850
- St John Chapelry - by 1870
- St Luke - 1868
There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans (New and Old Connexion) Methodist, New Jerusalemite, Presbyterian, Swedenborgians, and Unitarians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1839. The Roman Catholics have also built a handsome structure as a residence for the Sisters of Mercy, and for a chapel and schools. A general cemetery was opened in 1843.
Derby St Peter parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have online indexes by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|Derby St Peter Parish Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1595-1912
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Derbyshire Record Office reference D 1792 has deposited registers Bap 1558-1955 Mar 1558-1968 Burials 1558-1855 Banns 1836-1857, 1882-1965
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241300.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 32-46. Date accessed: 30 June 2103.