Derby St Werburgh, Derbyshire Genealogy
Derby St Werburgh is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Derbyshire. Other places in the parish include: Little Chester. The original church of St. Werburgh is supposed to have been built prior to the Conquest. Being situated near Mark-Eaton brook, its foundation was injured by occasional floods; so that in 1601 the tower fell, and within a century afterwards, the church having become ruinous, the present edifice was erected. There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans (New and Old Connexion), Swedenborgians, and Unitarians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
DERBY, St Werburgh comprised the following chapels and chapelries (with links to the Family History Library Catalog and holdings at FamilySearch.org):
Other ecclesiastical parishes and their chapelries were associated with St Werburgh's by proximity and within the Derby parish boundary, as follows:
- All Saints - 1558
- Codnor Chapelry - 1843 (partly in Heanor and Pentrich par.)
- St Alkmund - 1538
- Darley-Abbey Chapelry - by 1819
- Little Eaton Chapelry - 1738
- St Paul's Chapelry - 1844
- St Michael's - 1559
- Alvaston - 1614
- St Peter - 1558
- Boulton Chapelry - 1662
- Litchurch Chapel - 1863
- Normanton Chapelry - 1840
- St Andrews Chapelry- 1864
- St James the Great Chapelry - 1867
- Trinity Church - 1836
There are places of worship for General and Particular Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans (New and Old Connexion), New Jerusalemite, Presbyterian, Swedenborgians, and Unitarians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1839. The Roman Catholics have also built a handsome structure as a residence for the Sisters of Mercy, and for a chapel and schools. A general cemetery was opened in 1843.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Derbyshire Record Office reference D1145 has deposited registers Bap 1562-1983 Mar 1562-1983 Burials 1562-1641, 1653-1855, 1878 Banns 1823-1869, 1879-1897, 1926-1984
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241300.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 32-46. Date accessed: 30 June 2103.