Difference between revisions of "Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy"
|Line 117:||Line 117:|
==== Genealogy ====
==== Genealogy ====
==== Land ====
==== Land ====
Revision as of 18:38, 31 May 2012
|Dickenson County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Dickenson County Virginia Courthouse
Clintwood, VA 24228-0190
Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-18721
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Dickenson County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
- Vanover, Gregory Lynn, Joan Short Vanover, and Barbara Kendrick Vanover. Dickenson County, Virginia, 1900 Federal Census. Pound, Virginia: G.L. Vanover, 1984. Available at FHL.
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. Sand Lick Primitive Baptist Church, the First Hundred Years, 1837-1937: A History of the Oldest Religious Organization in Dickenson County, Virginia. 1937; reprint, [Clintwood, Virginia?]: Mullins Printing, 1985. Available at FHL.
More than a dozen genealogies have been published about Dickenson County families. For a list, see Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy.
- Giles, Albert William. The Geology and Coal Resources of Dickenson County, Virginia. University of Virginia, 1921. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Schwab, W.G. The Forests of Dickenson County, Virginia. Charlottesville, Va., 1917. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. Meet Virginia's Baby: A Brief Pictorial History of Dickenson County, Virginia, from Its Formation in 1880 to 1955, with Stress on Pioneer Background. Clintwood, Va.: E.J. Sutherland, 1955. 1975 reprint available at FHL.
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper and Hetty Swindall Sutherland. Pioneer Recollections of Southwest Virginia. Clintwood, Va.: H.S. Sutherland, G.L. Vanover, and J.S. Vanover, 1984. Available at FHL.
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
- Gobble, Lillian and Rhonda Robertson. Between Brothers: Civil War Soldiers of Wise and Dickenson County [Virginia]. [Big Stone Gap, Virginia: L. Gobble and R. Robertson, 200-?]. FHL Collection.
- Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929
Dickenson County, Virginia, Family Bible Records, 1934-1935. Clintwood, Virginia: Mullins Printing, 1999. Available at FHL.
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Dickenson County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 8, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1964):124-126. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
Indexes to Dickenson County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- Sutherland, Elihu Jasper. E. J. Sutherland Collection, Dickenson County, Virginia, 1650-1965. MSS., available at FHL. [Includes Dickenson County Vital Statistics, 1830-1938.]
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Dickenson Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- RootsWeb Mailing List: SW_VA-L (Topic: Southwest Virginia)
- Cyndi's List
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).