Didsbury, Lancashire Genealogy
Didsbury St James was created a chapel of ease in 1603 from, and lying within the boundaries of Manchester ancient parish.
William Roberts was a brewer in Manchester and owned the Crown Brewery in Hulme in 1851. In the 1870s he employed 62 men and lived at Oaks Farm which occupied the site which is now St. Ambrose's Church.
During the 1860s and 70s the area between Palatine Road and Burton Road was developed and St. Luke’s Church was built as a chapel-of-ease for Didsbury St James, Lancashire. Plans were in hand for the creation of a new parish and a group of residents obtained an option of a site at the corner of Burton Road and Barlow Moor Road (the site of the Burton Road Mosque). At this point Mr. Roberts offered to build a church and rectory at his own expense but insisted on the present site, the corner of Darley Avenue and Princess Road.
In 1881 he was still living on the Chorlton/Didsbury boarder and would have watched the building of the Church and Rectory,
"DIDSBURY, a parochial chapelry', 'in the parish of Manchester', union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5½ miles (S.) from Manchester. This chapelry, which is separated from Cheshire by the river Mersey, consists of the townships of Didsbury, Heaton-Norris, Burnage, and Withington. The chapel is dedicated to St James. Didsbury had parochial oversight to at least three other chapelries, including at Heaton-Norris St Thomas', (which see), the chapel erected at Withington (which see), to which the townships of Withington and Burnage have been assigned as a district; and another church built at Heaton-Mersey, to which that part of the township of Heaton-Norris has been attached.
The Wesleyans have a place of worship at Withington. The Independents built a place of worship at Heaton-Mersey.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Online transcriptions exist for Didsbury St James Chapelry, as well as for the ancient parish of Manchester Our Lady, St George, and St Denys--to which it was attached. Links to online baptisms, marriages and burials registers are displayed below located at the web sites indicated; note the ranges of years:
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|FMP = FMP = FindMyPast|
|LBMD = Lancashire BMD|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|DIDSBURY ST JAMES Chapelry (1561) Indexes|
|DIDSBURY CHRIST CHURCH Chapelry (1882) Indexes|
|DIDSBURY EMMANUEL (or BARLOW MOOR) Chapelry (1858) Indexes|
MANCHESTER CATHEDRAL - OUR LADY, ST GEORGE AND ST DENYS (1573) Indexes
|LOPC||1573-1616;1777-1837||1573-1616;1782-1836 - part. yrs||1573-1616;1792-1836 - part. yrs|
To view a full list of all the (over 150) chapelries and district churches in the ancient parish of Manchester and their respective links to online transcriptions of their baptisms, marriages and burials, be sure to visit the MANCHESTER (CATHEDRAL) OUR LADY, ST GEORGE & ST DENYS page.
The original parish (chapelry) registers are housed at the Manchester Central Library archives.
FamilySearch has microfilmed these original registers from 1561 to 1911 and these films may be researched at any of its 4,600 FamilySearch Centers worldwide.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438733.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- Samuel A. Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England (pub. 1848), pp. 46-55. Adapted. Date accessed: 08 March 2011.