Dillon County, South Carolina Genealogy
|Dillon County, South Carolina|
Location in the state of South Carolina
Location of South Carolina in the U.S.
|Founded||February 5, 1910|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 DNA
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Newspapers
- 5.14 Obituaries
- 5.15 Periodicals
- 5.16 Probate
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Family History Centers
- 8 Web Sites
- 9 References
Dillon County's civil records start the following years:
Dillon County Courthouse
301 West Main Street
Dillon, SC 29536
Dillon County Clerk of Courts
301 W. Main St.
P.O. Drawer 1220
Dillon, SC 29536
Court and land records
Dillon County Probate Judge
401 W. Main St.
P.O. Box 189
Dillon, SC 29536
Probate and marriage records
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
The county is named after J.W. Dillon.
"Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the My South Carolina Genealogy website. They rely on AniMap 3.0 software.
|Bass Crossroads||Dillon||Kemper||Oak Grove|
|Berrys Crossroads||Five Forks||Lake View||Oakland Crossroads|
|Bronson Crossroads||Fork||Little Rock||Pittman Corner|
|Bunker Hill||Forrest Hills||Mallory||Riverdale|
|Carmichael Crossroads||Gaddys Crossroads||Manning Crossroads||Selma|
|Carolina||Galavon||May Hilltop||Sinclair Crossroads|
|Cotton Valley||High Hill Crossroads||Minturn|
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: Dillon County, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- Dillon County Cemetery Index On-line. Has tombstone inscriptions and photos of some graves in various cemeteries.This is an ongoing project. Information can be contributed by viewers. Site also provides a link to USGS Listing of Dillon County Cemeteries.
- Dillon County in S.C. Cemetery Project, courtesy: South Carolina Genealogical Society. List of cemeteries in the county.
- Family History Library entries for cemeteries in Dillon County, click here.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
See South Carolina Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Surname indexes to Leonardo Andrea's Files | Folders | Resources are available online, courtesy: The Andrea Files: South Carolina Genealogical Research. Learn more.
- Dillon County, SC Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Dillon County, SC Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2002. FHL Collection book 929.273 L585Ljd, CD-ROM no. 1036
Plats For State Land Grants 1784-1868
This series consists of recorded copies of plats for state land grants for the Charleston and the Columbia Series with their certificates of admeasurement or certification. All personal names and geographic features on these plats are included in the repository's On-line Index to Plats for State Land Grants
The South Carolina Constitution of 1790 required the surveyor general to maintain offices in both the new capital at Columbia and in Charleston. The surveyor general began to use separate volumes for recording plats in his Columbia office in 1796. Before that, all plats were recorded in the set of volumes begun in Charleston in 1784. After 1796, most plats for land grants in the Upper Division of the state were recorded and filed in Columbia. The surveyor general chose to make the Columbia volumes a continuation of the state plat volumes begun in Charleston and gave the initial Columbia volume the number thirty-six to correspond with the number of the volume that had then been reached in the Charleston series. As a result, there are volumes numbered thirty-six through forty-three from each office, but the records in them are not duplicative.
Also included are the Plan Books containing Plats and Plans.
War of 1812
- "Capt. Bethea's co.," Pee Dee Queue, May 1999, Volume 23, Issue 3. Pee Dee Chapter, South Carolina Genealogical Society : Marion, SC.
An index references Early Obituaries from The Dillon Herald, notebook volumes available in the Dillon County Library. The notebooks primarily cover obituaries found in The Dillon Herald from 1904 through 1939. Each obituary is a complete transcription of the article taken from microfilm copies of the newspaper. Site gives instructions for obtaining a complete copy of the obituary.
Tap into the minds of local experts. Editors of genealogical periodicals publish unique sources that researchers new to their area may not encounter. Periodicals at various levels (county, region, and state) may carry articles useful to research in this area. For this county, see:
- Pee Dee Queue
- [1811, 1814, 1824] Holcomb, Brent H. and Silas Emmett Lucas. Some South Carolina County Records... 2 vols. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1976-1989. FHL Book 975.7 P2hbh and 975.7 P2hbh v. 2 [Includes 1811, 1814, and 1824 tax lists for Marion District.]
An index referencing Early Marriage Extracts from The Dillon Herald, a notebook available in the Dillon County Library. The notebook primarily covers marriages found in The Dillon Herald from 1903 through 1929. Each extract contains:
• name of the bride and groom,
• day of marriage,
• date of article publication
• other limited information, frequently the name of the parents of the bride and groom.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers in South Carolina
- Dillon County, SCGenWeb
- Family History Library Catalog
- Dillon County, South Carolina Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- "List of counties in South Carolina," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).