Diocese of York
|Diocese of York|
|Archdeaconries||York, Cleveland, East Riding|
|Bishops Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
The Diocese of York was at one time very much larger than at present, and covered most of northern England north of the River Trent. The diocese forms part of the Province of York of the Church of England.
The diocese was founded in 625. The Diocese of Lindisfarne was merged with it from 664 until 678 when Lindisfarne was reinstated.
In 1541, the archdeanery of Richmond, North Yorkshire, which included part of the Yorkshire Dales, North Lancashire (including Furness), the southern part of Westmorland and the ward of Allerdale above Derwent in Cumberland, became part of the new Diocese of Chester. (These areas later became parts of other dioceses.)
In 1836 the western part (corresponding broadly to the West Riding) was split into the Ripon diocese, which has since been subdivided into the Dioceses of Ripon and Leeds (1836), Wakefield (1888) and Bradford (1920).
The area of the diocese incorporates:
Archdeaconries and deaneries
- the Archdeaconry of York
- the Archdeaconry of Cleveland
- the Archdeaconry of the East Riding