District of Columbia African Americans
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 13:29, 6 July 2012 by Pipkincm (updated biography reference and link)
- Caldwell, A.B., editor. History of the American Negro, Washington, D. C. Edition. Volume 6. Atlanta, Georgia: A.B. Caldwell Publishing Co., 1922. Digital version at Internet Archive. Biographies of many prominent black men and women of Washington, D.C.
- The Bee - full-text of this African-American D.C. newspaper digitized and hosted online by the Library of Congress. Covers 1882-1884.
- District of Columbia Manumission Papers, 1857-1863
- Slave Owner Petitions, Washington, D.C., 1862-1863 ($) - via Ancestry.com
- Slave Emancipation Records, Washington, D.C., 1851-1863 ($) - via Ancestry.com. Original data source are the Records of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Relating to Slaves, 1851–1863. NARA microfilm publication M433, 3 rolls. Records of the District Courts of the United States, Record Group 21. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.