History and Tidbits
Draper is a city rich in pioneer heritage and colorful character. In the fall of 1849, Ebenezer Brown, the son of Scottish immigrants, brought his cattle to graze the tall grass fed by mountain streams in the unsettled area known as South Willow Creek. The following spring, Ebenezer brought his wife Phoebe and their large family. Together they raised and fattened cattle to sell to immigrants heading to the gold fields of California.
That same year the Browns invited Phoebe's brother, William Draper III, his wife Elizabeth, a midwife/doctor, and their seven children to join in farming the area. The area grew rapidly and by the end of 1852, twenty families called South Willow Creek home. In 1854, the first post office was established with Phoebe Brown tending the office. The town was named Draperville in honor of William Draper III, who was also the first Presiding Elder of the small Mormon congregation in town. The town name was later shortened to Draper.
Family History Resources
Internment.net listing of gravesites in the Draper City Cemetery.
Draper Family History Center
13085 S 300 E
Hours: T-Th 9am-9pm; F 9am-3pm
Location: 14065 South Canyon Vista Lane, Draper, Utah, United States.
Site: 12 acres (including adjoining meetinghouse).
Total Floor Area: 57,000 square feet.
Announcement: 2 October 2004
Groundbreaking and Site Dedication: 5 August 2006 by Gordon B. Hinckley
As of May 2008, landscaping of the temple grounds progresses rapidly, and granite facing of the exterior has now reached the base of the spire.
Family History Web Sites