DuPage County, Illinois Genealogy
|DuPage County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 4, 1817|
|Address|| DuPage County Courthouse|
505 North County Farm Road
Wheaton, Illinois 60187
DuPage County Website
- 1 DuPage County Information
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 African American
- 3.2 Archives and Libraries
- 3.3 Bible Records
- 3.4 Biography
- 3.5 Cemeteries
- 3.6 Census
- 3.7 Church History
- 3.8 Court Records
- 3.9 Directories
- 3.10 Funeral Homes
- 3.11 Genealogy
- 3.12 History
- 3.13 Land and Property
- 3.14 Maps
- 3.15 Medical Records
- 3.16 Military
- 3.17 Native Races
- 3.18 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.19 Obituaries
- 3.20 Politics and Government
- 3.21 Probate Records
- 3.22 Schools
- 3.23 Societies
- 3.24 Taxation
- 3.25 Vital Records
- 4 Websites
DuPage County Information
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for DuPage County are kept, see the DuPage County Courthouse page.
|Beginning Dates for DuPage County Records|
Historical FactsDuPage River that flows through the county.
To see a list of places in DuPage County, click on [Show] in the bar, above. The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
Wheaton Public Library has created a detailed list of historic towns in DuPage County on their website.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
- Du Page County, Illinois genealogical records: located in Du Page County repositories; libraries, historical societies, colleges, etc; pub. 1992 FHL Book 977.324 A3s
- Genealogical holdings of the Du Page LibrarySystem: as submitted by each library, September 1, 1975 FHL film 928168 Item 5, book 977.324 A3L
- Bibliographies of genealogical materials available at Elmhurst Historical Society : and selected libraries in the Illinois Suburban Library System; pub. 1975 FHL film 928279 Item 4
- Du Page at 150 and those who shaped our world; pub. 1989 FHL Book 977.324 D3m
- History of Du Page County: historical and biographical; pub. 1913 FHL film 1036525 Items 1-2
Note: no circulation to family history centers
- History of Du Page County, Illinois; pub. 1882 FHL film 934982 Item 5
- Portrait and biographical record of DuPage and Cook counties, Illinois; pub. 1894 FHL film 934974 Item 3, FHL fiche 6038118, book 977.3 D3pd
- DuPage Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
The DuPage County Genealogical Society (DPGS) has on-line indexes to cemeteries in the following townships:
- Addison Township
- Downers Grove and Lisle Township
- York Township
- 1840 federal census: DuPage County, Illinois FHL Book 977.324 X28d 1840
- 1850 DuPage County, Illinois Federal Census FHL Book 977.324 X28r 1850
- 1860 Du Page County, Illinois, federal census FHL Book 977.324 X2r
- 1870 federal census of Du Page County, Illinois FHL Fiche 6100878, Book 977.324 X2r
- Name index to early Illinois records FHL films
- 1855, State census Ancestry ($), FHL film 976181
- 1865, State census Ancestry ($), FHL film 972750
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, DuPage County on page 186.]
- Du Page County, Illinois churches and their records, 1833-1920; pub. 1981 FHL 6087343, book 977.324 K2d
- The History of DuPage County
by the Board of Supervisors of DuPage County and C.W. Richmond
Knickerbocker and Hodder, Publishers, Aurora, Illinois, 1877. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- The History of DuPage County
by Rufus Blanchard
O.L. Baskin and Co., Chicago, 1882. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Historical encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Du Page County
Chicago: Munsell Pub. Co., 1913.
- The Stoddard Project
The Stoddard Project is an ambitious attempt to inventory and index genealogical and historical resources in all the DuPage County repositories initiatied by John Stoddard, for whom it is named. The two-part project includes a listing of reference works and the individual libraries that house them, plus an index of individuals named in those reference works. The project incorporates histories of the county and of individual towns, high school yearbooks, histories of individual churches, maps and plats, old city directories and telephone books, holdings of back issues of local newspapers, etc.
For more information about the Stoddard Project, see the DuPage County Genealogical Society web site.
Rededication of Hobson Pioneer Marker, Pioneer Park, Du Page County, Illinois: 2:30 P.M., October Twelfth, Nineteen Hundred Fifty-two. Hillside, Ill.: P. Troost Monument Co., 1952. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Land and Property
- Ledger book of Dr. Theodore Hoffman, 1864-1868; pub. 1982 FHL film 1307594 Item 13, book 977.3 U2b
- Civil War service men from DuPage County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of DuPage County.
- The DuPage County Genealogica Society (DCGS) provides a listing of all men from DuPage County who served in World War I. DCGS has also compiled an inventory of books and periodicals relating to the Naper Post 468 of the G.A.R.
- Potawatomi Indians of DuPage County; pub. 1974 FHL 970.3 P847s
Naturalization and Citizenship
The DuPage County Genealogical Society has published an Index to the Naturalization Records of DuPage County. The index covers 6,000 individuals, and includes the full name, date, locality, country of birth; and the date and port of entry into the United States (where available). Free online index.
- Aurora Daily Express - over 5,000 full-text digital issues in Google News Archive; covers 1882-1901
- Aurora Daily Star - over 800 full-text digital issues in Google News Archive; covers 1921-1932
- The DuPage County Genealogical Society has created abstracts from 1896-1908 from the Hinsdale Doings, a newspaper published in Hinsdale, Illinois. The index includes mentions of births, marriages, deaths, and other local news like family visits.
- Du Page County, Illinois Obituary and Death Notices Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From various funeral homes in the Lombard, York, Naperville, Wheaton, Downers Grove, Bartlett, Elmhurst, Villa Park and surrounding area.
Wheaton Public Library has created a Vital Records Index based on nineteenth-century Wheaton newspapers. As of 30 June 2011, the database appears to be undergoing construction.
Politics and Government
- Benedictine College University Yearbooks - available from the 1930s - 1980s; digitized and freely avaiable at the Internet Archive.
- Dupage County (IL) Genealogical Society surname project; pub. 2001? FHL Book 977.324 D2d
- Fox Valley Genealogical Society surnames; pub. 1983, 1994 FHL film 1425262 Item 30, book 977.32 C4h 1982-1983, 977.32 C4h 1989-1994
Libraries and Museums
- DuPage County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 3
Wheaton, IL 60187-0003
- DuPage County Historical Society
P.O. Box 1460
Wheaton, IL 60189
- Warrenville Historical Society
3S530 2nd St
Warrenville, IL 60555-3134
- 1839-1906 Marriages FHL Book 977.324 V2d
- 1839-1889 Marriages FHL Book 977.324 V22d Two Volumes. also FHL Film 848650 items 4-7 One of 2 films.
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index Includes DuPage 1839 - 1906
- DuPage County Marriage Index 20 June 1839 - 28 November 1861
Originally transcribed by the DAR from Record Book A in the DuPage County Clerk's office, and later compiled for publication by the DuPage County Genealogical Society
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- DuPage County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.; Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002 WorldCat 50140092, FHL Book 973 D27e 2002
- Illinois Miscellaneous Genealogical Records: From Counties, Bond, Boone, Calhoun, Cook, Crawford, Du Page, Johnson, Knox, Lake, Will, Pope: Kentucky county, Mercer: Missouri county, Ralls. Evanston, Ill.: Illinois Society, D.A.R., 1946. Digital version at Ancestry ($).