Dubuque County, Iowa Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 Sources and Footnotes
Dubuque County Courthouse
720 Central Avenue
Dubuque, IA 52001
1834--Dubuque County was created 1 October 1834 from Michigan Territory. County seat: Dubuque 
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
- 1836 State Transcription and Index
- 1841 State Transcription and Index
- 1842 State Transcription and Index
- 1844 State Transcription and Index
- 1846 State Transcription and Index
- 1847 State Transcription and Index
- 1849 State Transcription and Index
- 1854 State Originals
- 1856 State Originals
- 1885 State Originals
- 1895 State Originals
- 1905 State Originals and Index
- 1915 State Originals
- 1925 State Originals
Naturalization and citizenship (microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Dubuque County, Iowa Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Some of the microfilms may be available at the state archives or at state and county historical societies.
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Dubuque County, Iowa pages hosted on Rootsweb.com offer many volunteer-transcribed records including Marriage records, cemeteries, photographs, courthouse records and more.
- The IowaGenWeb section for Dubuque County has many records available online as well.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Dubuque County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Sources and Footnotes
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).