Dubuque County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Dubuque County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Dubuque County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||October 1, 1834|
|Address|| Dubuque County Courthouse|
720 Central Avenue
Dubuque, IA 52001
Dubuque County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 Sources and Footnotes
Dubuque County Courthouse
720 Central Avenue
Dubuque, IA 52001
1834--Dubuque County was created 1 October 1834 from Michigan Territory. County seat: Dubuque 
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
- 1836 State Transcription and Index
- 1841 State Transcription and Index
- 1842 State Transcription and Index
- 1844 State Transcription and Index
- 1846 State Transcription and Index
- 1847 State Transcription and Index
- 1849 State Transcription and Index
- 1854 State Originals
- 1856 State Originals
- 1885 State Originals
- 1895 State Originals
- 1905 State Originals and Index
- 1915 State Originals
- 1925 State Originals
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Dubuque, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Dubuque
- Records of the St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Dubuque, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
<img class="FCK__MWTemplate" src="https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" _fckfakelement="true" _fckrealelement="0" _fck_mw_template="true">
The indexes and deeds are now online - t http://cotthosting.com/iadubuque/LandRecords/protected/SrchQuickName.aspx There is a tab for the index books back to 1834. Once the book and page are found, use the Record Book using the boxes on the right part of the page. Be sure to try all types of the record books as the early deeds aren't in obvious places all the time.
Local histories are available for Dubuque County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
Naturalization and citizenship (microfilmed originals or published transcripts) are listed in the FamilySearch Library Catalog for Dubuque County, Iowa Genealogy. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Some of the microfilms may be available at the state archives or at state and county historical societies.
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Dubuque - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Dubuque County, Iowa pages hosted on Rootsweb.com offer many volunteer-transcribed records including Marriage records, cemeteries, photographs, courthouse records and more.
- The IowaGenWeb section for Dubuque County has many records available online as well.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Dubuque County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Sources and Footnotes
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).