Dukes County, Massachusetts Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The County of Dukes County
PO Box 190
Edgartown, MA 02539
- The oddity of the name of the county is due to the statute that created this county.
- Created 1 Nov 1683 when it was claimed by Colony of New York, then reclaimed by Massachusetts Bay Colony, re-established 22 June 1695. 
Places / Localities
1865 Massachusetts State Census—A free Internet index and images to the 1865 Massachusetts State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search – Pilot Site. This index includes every name listed on the census and is linked to an image including information about each person’s residence and age in 1865, birthplace, occupation, other family members, and neighbors.
Societies and Libraries
- The Dukes County MAGenWeb Project, an member of The MAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Dukes County
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Dukes County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].