Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland--Other Denominations
- 1 Other Denominations
Dunfermline Congregational Churches
A church was formed in 1801 and a chapel was built with seating for nearly 500. About 1805 the whole congregation became Baptist.
Another Congregational cause was formed in 1839 by a few individuals who left the United Secession Church. They were formally recognized as a congregation in 1840 and took possession of a newly erected chapel in Canmore Street in 1842, with seating for about 700. At that time the fellowship numbered 38 persons, but they thrived and grew. The New Statistical Account of Scotland for Fife for 1845, shows the total Congregational Church membership in Dunfermline at that time was approximately 430. About 1848, several persons who were attracted by the doctrines of the Evangelical Union, seceded from the Chalmers Street United Presbyterian Church. They were for a time a branch of the Brighton Street Evangelical Union Church in Edinburgh, of which they became members. In 1851 they established themselves as a separate congregation and worshiped in the Mason's Hall, Maygate. In 1853 they moved to the Masonic Hall in Guildhall Street. They officially joined the Evangelical Union in 1855. In 1891 they purchased and remodeled a former Episcopal Church in Bath Street. In 1928, they were designated as the North Congregational Church.
Source: A History of Scottish Congregationalism, by Harry Escott, pub. 1960. FHL book 941 K2es. Source includes a list of ministers.
The extent of pre-1855 records is unknown. For more information write to:
The United Reformed Church, Scottish Synod Office
PO Box 189
240 Cathedral Street
Glasgow G1 2BX
Dunfermline Baptist Churches
A group of Scottish Baptists was formed about 1780 when they broke from the Independent church over the question of baptism and other points. This church may have ceased to exist by 1793, as the Statistical Account of that year makes no mention of Baptists in Dunfermline.
In 1805, a Congregational group, which had formed in 1801, became Scottish Baptist. A chapel was built in 1834 on James Street, with seating for 310. This church may have ceased by 1855. An internal break occurred in 1841, regarding the method of conducting public worship, and the Second Baptist Church, founded on the principles of the English Baptists, was formed with a membership of 32. A place of worship was eventually acquired on Inglis Street. This became known as the Viewfield Baptist Church. The New Statistical Account of Scotland for Fife for 1845, shows the total Baptist Church membership in Dunfermline at that time was approximately 300.
Source: History of the Baptists in Scotland, by Rev. George Yuille, pub. 1926. FHL book 941 K2hi. Included is a list of ministers.
The extent of pre-1855 records is unknown. For information write to:
The Baptist Union of Scotland
12 Aytoun Road
Glasgow G41 5RT
Holy Catholic Apostolic Congregation, Irvingites or Rowites
This congregation was founded in 1835. They met in rooms in Horsemarket Street. The New Statistical Account of Scotland for Fife for 1845 shows the total Catholic Apostolic Church membership in Dunfermline at that time was approximately 40.
The extent of pre-1855 records is unknown.
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
This church was founded in 1840. Church built in 1842, with seating for about 500. The New Statistical Account of Scotland for Fife for 1845, shows the total Episcopal Church membership in Dunfermline at that time was approximately 160.
Records— FHL Book Number
Marriages 1843–1854 941 B2g vol. 13 [The Scottish Genealogist]
Deaths 1848-1854 same
Roman Catholic Church
This church was founded in 1823 and was served from Edinburgh beginning in 1830. The New Statistical Account of Scotland for Fife for 1845, shows the total Roman Catholic membership in Dunfermline at that time was approximately 100. The church was dedicated to St. Margaret in 1846.
Records— FHL Book Number
Marriages 1847–1855 (159 entries) 941.33 B4f, No. 22
Note: Available online for a fee, at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk,
Dunfermline Branch, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter–Day Saints
Records— FHL Film Number
Record of Members, Early to 1889 0104150 item 12
The New Statistical Account of Dunfermline, dated 1845, states that there were also about 60 Swedenborgians, about 35 Unitarians, less than 20 Methodists, and less than 20 Friends or Quakers in Dunfermline, but the last three had no separate meetings for worship. Persons believed to not belong to any denomination numbered about 3433 out of a total population estimated to be 19,778 at that time.
[Return to Dunfermline home page.]