Early County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Early County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Early County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Early County Courthouse|
PO Box 849
Blakely, GA 31723
Early County Website
- 1 Early County Georgia Courthouse
- 2 Early County Georgia History
- 3 Early County Georgia Places/Localities
- 4 Early County Georgia Genealogy Resources
- 5 Early County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Early County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Early County Georgia Genealogy References
Early County Georgia Courthouse
Clerk of Court has cemetery, divorce, land,
military and court records
Early County Georgia History
Local histories are available for Early County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
1818--Early County was created 15 December 1818 from Creek Indian Lands.
County seat: Blakely 
1896 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Early County Georgia Places/Localities
Early County Georgia Genealogy Resources
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1822-1832 (digital images). See names of testators Georgia Pioneers
- Wills 1839-1895 (digital images). See names of testators. Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book B, 1839-1895 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book 2, 1896-1941 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1820-1889 - Early County Marriage Index 1820-1889. Batch M712701 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1834-1850 - Early County Marriage Index 1834-1850. Batch M002548 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1901 - Early County Marriage Index 1868-1901. Batch M712702 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1889-1895 - Early County Marriage Index 1889-1895. Batch M712703 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1879-80 - Early County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Early County Georgia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Early County Georgia Genealogy Websites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Early County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
Early County Georgia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Early County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.