East Chiltington, Sussex Genealogy
|East Chiltington, Sussex|
|Poor Law Union||Chailey|
|Parish registers: 1587; For more records see Westmeston|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Rural Deanery||South Malling|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury for the Exempt Deanery of South Malling; Court of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes|
|Location of Archive|
|Sussex Record Office|
CHILTINGTON, EAST, a village, in the parish of Westmeston, union of Chailey, hundred of Street, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 5 miles (N. W. by N.) from Lewes.
See East Chiltington for information about the parish church and Chailey Union Workhouse Chapel
East Chiltington Sussex Online Parish Clerks(OPC) includes Chailey Union Workhouse Chapel.
See also East Chiltington Wikipedia
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
From 1837 this parish was in Lewes Registration District
Certificates may be obtained from
The Register Office
Phone: 01323 464780
Fax: 01323 431386
Link to the FamilySearch Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Chiltington, East
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464164.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 597-599. Date accessed: 27 September 2013