Difference between revisions of "Edmonton Alberta Riverbend Family History Centre"
m (moved Edmonton Alberta Riverbend Family History Center to Edmonton Alberta Riverbend Family History Centre: Because "Centre" is the spelling for all other Alberta Family History Centres.)
Revision as of 14:50, 11 September 2013
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Edmonton Alberta Riverbend Family History Centre serves the western part of the city of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and the adjacent area.
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: 14325 - 53rd Ave,
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Driving Directions
Take the 53 Ave Exit from Whitemud Drive, and come about one block east.
- We are in the large brick church on the south side of 53 Ave. The northern entrance on the east side of the building will be unlocked when the FHC is open. There is plenty of free parking
- Map: Click to view
Summer 2013 Hours:
Open only on the following Wednesdays:
- July 3 & 10 and August 14, 21 & 28 10:00 am - 2:00 pm and 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Summer Closure: July 12 - August 13
Phone:During open hours 780-436-0136
E-mail Director: email@example.com
Calendar and Events
- Workshops will resume in the fall.
Staff Training Meetings:
- The next staff meeting will be held on Novenber 17th, 2013.
- Family History Library Catalog: Patrons can order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog online, at https://film.familysearch.org/ and have them sent to our FHC to view them.
- We also have films/fiche on long term loan that can be viewed if the person that ordered them is not using them.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. e.g. Ancestry.com, HeritageQuest.com, Findmypast.co.uk, Fold3.com, Worldvitalrecords.com, ArkivDigital
- Our computers have PAF and several of the FamilySearch affiliate software programs installed, including FamilyInsight, AncestralQuest, RootsMagic, and PAF Companion.
Hardware and Equipment
- We have 6 computers, wi-fi, 1 printer / scanner on the wi-fi network, 3 microfilm readers, and 1 microfiche reader. Patrons may use their laptops on our wi-fi network, but only our own computers will have free access to the subscription-based websites.
Resources in the Local Area
The Provincial Archives of Alberta has most of the local histories for Alberta, which include biographies of families, as well as a computer database of people who lived and died in Alberta. They also have history books and an extensive microfilm library.
Address: 8555 Roper Road, Edmonton, AB T6E 5W1
Edmonton Public Library has extensive holdings as well. The Stanley A. Milner Library has a genealogy room. There are 17 EPL branches distributed throughout the city. Patrons have access to Ancestry.com's Library Edition and also HeritageQuest Online (on their library catalog computers).
Edmonton Alberta Bonnie Doon Family History Centre
9010 - 85th Street
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hours: Tuesday,Thursday 9am-9pm; Friday 9am-1pm. (Summer hours: closed in July & open on Tuesdays only in August. Phone the number above to learn their summer hours.)
Closed: Major Holidays
This is our companion FHC in Edmonton.
Royal Alberta Museum
The museum does not have genealogical records. They ask that genealogy questions be referred to the Provincial Archives of Alberta, their sister institution.
City of Edmonton GenWeb Project
(may not be up to date)
Alberta GenWeb Sites for some nearby counties
Note that Sturgeon (St-Albert) has resources for Metis and French Canadian research, plus a link to Musée Héritage Museum in the city of St-Albert.
Volunteer at the Centre
We would welcome knowledgeable volunteers, interested in helping during our regular shifts. We are also looking for volunteers who would be willing to teach an occasional class on their research specialty.