Edwards County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The towns of Bullhead (now called Vance), 1883-1884, and Leakey, 1884-1891, both served as county seats for Edwards County. In 1891, Rock Springs (now Rocksprings) became the county seat. Bullhead and Leakey are both in the portion of Edwards County that became Real County in 1913. Leakey became the county seat of Real County.
The current Edwards County courthouse was built in 1891. In 1898 it was destroyed by fire, with only the outer walls remaining. The building was rebuilt. In 1927, a tornado swept through Rocksprings killing 70 people and destroying much of the town. The roof of the courthouse was damaged. The courthouse served as a refuge for the tornado victims.
Edward County Courthouse
County Clerk - Sandra Henry
P. O. Box 184
Rocksprings, Texas 78880
1858--Edwards County was created 1 February 1858 from Bexar Land District. County seat: Rock Springs 
Barksdale | Carta Valley | Rocksprings
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- HistoricTexas.net: Edwards County http://www3.historictexas.net/edwards-county-texas
- Rock Springs, Texas Tornado, Apr 1927 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/9040/rock-springs-tx-tornado-apr-1927
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).