Egton cum Newland, Lancashire Genealogy
Egton cum Newland St Mary Penny Bridge was created a chapelry in 1792 from, and lying within Ulverston, Lancashire ancient parish. Other places in the parish include: Newland.
The village of Penny Bridge has since 1974 been in the county of Cumbria (historically Lancashire) and the modern parish is within the Diocese of Carlisle.
"EGTON, with Newland, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 20 miles (W.) from Milnthorpe; containing 1024 inhabitants, of whom 547 are in Egton. The manor of Egton and Newland belonged at the time of the Dissolution to the abbey of Furness; and Upper and Lower Sathwaite, in Newland, are named among the first estates conferred upon that foundation. The chapelry comprises 3143a. 3r. 6p. It has a cotton-mill and an iron-forge; and at Greenodd, where the river Crake flows into Morecambe bay, a considerable quantity of iron in bars, copper-ore, slate, hoops, tanned-leather, gunpowder, pyroligneous-acid, and other articles of merchandise, are shipped for Liverpool, Glasgow, and Whitehaven. The neat village of Penny-Bridge, so called perhaps from the British word Pen, "the head," was the seat of the family of Penny. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £92; patron, J. Penny Machell, Esq. The chapel, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, was built and endowed by William Penny, Esq., was consecrated in 1791, and in 1831 enlarged. Henry Lindow, in 1735, made a bequest of £138, now vested in a savings' bank, and producing £4 per annum, for the support of a school."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 150-154. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50942 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Parish registers of Egton-with-newland Lancashire
Microfilm of original manuscripts in the Cumbria Record Office, Kendal.The chapelry of Egton-with-Newland is in the parish of Ulverston.
Cumbria Record Office no.: BPR/26/I1/1, I2/1-2, I3/1, I4/1-2
Baptisms, burials, 1792-1812 Baptisms, 1813-1901 Marriages, 1856-1901 FHL BRITISH Film 1471923 Items 32-35
Burials, 1813-1917 FHL BRITISH Film 1472012 Items 1-2
Marriage banns, 1856-1912 FHL BRITISH Film 1472012 Item 13
Bishop's transcripts for Egton-with-Newland Microfilm of original records in the Lancashire Record Office, Preston. Egton-with-Newland is a township-chapelry in Ulverston parish.
Baptisms, burials 1813-1820, 1831-1868; marriages 1856-1861. FHL BRITISH Film 1040312 Items 2 - 3
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.