Elizabeth City Parish, Virginia
HistoryElizabeth City and Warwick counties. In the early 1600s, it was first known as Kecoughtan Parish. After two centuries of being called Elizabeth City Parish, it was renamed St. John's after the Civil War.
A list of burials in at the Second Church of Elizabeth City Parish dated 1624 survives and has been published: FHL Book 975.5412 V3m (page 4). Transcripts of the graves at the Third Church of Elizabeth City Parish have also been published in the same source (pages 6 to 11).
- Mason, George Carrington. "The Earliest Known Church of Elizabeth City Parish," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 54, No. 1 (Jan., 1946), pp. 17-20. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- St. John's Church, Elizabeth City Parish, Hampton, Virginia. 1960s. FHL Film 2055219 Item 2.
Colonial parish registers have been lost.
Nineteenth-century parish registers have been published:
- Hayes, Francis W. Elizabeth City Parish, Hampton, Virginia: 19th Century Parish Registers. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1986. FHL Book 975.5412 K2hf.
- St. John's Episcopal Church, Hampton, VA (official website)
- First Church at Kecoughtan Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. John's Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. John's Church Marker, (another description) The Historical Marker Database
- Third Church at Kecoughtan Marker, Notable Burials in the Churchyard, The Historical Marker Database
- Third Elizabeth City Parish Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 151-161.