Elizabeth River Parish, Virginia
Elizabeth River Parish has served New Norfolk, Upper Norfolk, Lower Norfolk, and Norfolk counties. These jurisdictions are now extinct and the parish church, known as St. Paul's, is situated in the Independent City of Norfolk. St. Paul's Church in Norfolk was originally a chapel of ease in Elizabeth River Parish.
- bef 1643
St. Paul's tombstones are transcribed and indexed in Dey's history.
Dey's history includes a history of parish, description of the church, tombstone inscriptions, and a list of vestrymen:
- Dey, Calvert R. St. Paul's Church 1832, Originally the Borough Church 1739, Elizabeth River Parish, Norfolk, Virginia. Norfolk, Va.: Altar Guild of St. Paul's Church, 1934. FHL Book 975.5521 K2d
James published a list of parish vestrymen dated 1779:
- James, Edward W. "Vestrymen of Elizabeth River Parish," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 3 (Jan. 1893):162. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- St. Paul's Church, 1739 Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- Colonial Churches Blog: St. Paul's Church, Norfolk Virginia. Includes photographs and history
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 61-72.