Difference between revisions of "Elizabeth Shown Mills"
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
Revision as of 13:26, 12 November 2010
Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG, FNGS, FUGA has been recognized as "the genealogist who has had the greatest impact on American genealogy in the post-Roots era."
In her lectures, Mills stresses the importance of not only searching records for an ancestor's surname, but also paying attention to documents about the ancestor's "FAN Club" (Friends, Associates, Neighbors). Learning more about these individuals is a great way to discover new information about your direct lineage, as these people are often listed together in deeds, wills, court cases, road orders, etc., which will help you build a stronger case about relationships in your direct family.
A partial resume includes:
- Editor, National Genealogical Society Quarterly (16 years)
- President, The American Society of Genealogists
- President, Board for Certification of Genealogists
- Faculty, Samford University Library Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research
- Faculty, National Institute on Genealogical Research
- Biography: "Mills, Elizabeth Shown -- IGHR," Samford University Library Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research.
- Video Interview: "Elizabeth Shown Mills - 2008 Genealogy Conference/Cruise," Interview by Dick Eastman, Roots Television.