Ellis County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The first settlement was in 1843.
The Texas State legislature officially established Ellis County on December 20,1849. The county was named for Richard Ellis, president of the Texas Constitutional Convention of 1836.
Cities and Towns: | Alma | Avalon | Boz | Forreston | Garrett | Italy | Milford | Oak Leaf | Palmer | Telico | Bardwell | Ennis | Ferris | Maypearl | Midlothian | Ovilla | Pecan Hill | Red Oak | Waxahachie
Rootsweb-Ancestry Cemetery indexes for Ellis County
Gloria B. Mayfield Cemetery Indexes for Ellis County
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Texas US GenWeb project
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).