Emmet County, Michigan Genealogy
Guide to Emmet County Michigan genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Emmet County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||April 1, 1840|
|Address|| Emmet County Courthouse|
200 Division St.
Petoskey, MI 49770
Telephone: (616) 348-1744
Emmet County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Townships and Cities
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
County Clerk has birth, marriage and death records from 1867,
divorce records from 1875, court and naturalization records
from 1800’s and some military records. 
1840--Emmet County was created 1 April 1840 from Mackinac County. It was formerly named Tonedagana County, until the name changed to Emmet County 8 March 1843. It was attached to Mackinac County prior to ogranization 29 January 1853. County seat: Petoskey 
- The History of Emmet County begins with the Ottawa Indians, includes the French and British then was named after an Irish patriot.
Civil War service men from Emmet County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Emmet County.
- Marriage records can be searched for online by either the bride or groom for as far back as the year 1857.
- Death records can be searched for online for deaths occurring from 1857.
- Birth Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Marriage Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Death Records Table Alcona County Genealogical SocietyFree membership with registration.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Townships and Cities
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Emmet County, Michigan page 345, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).