England, Manchester, Miscellaneous Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
England, Manchester, Miscellaneous Records, 1700-1916 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of England|
|Location of Manchester, England|
|Manchester Archives and Local History|
What is in the Collection?
This collection contains records for the years 1700-1916
This collection contains indexes of miscellaneous records acquired from the Manchester Central Library. The records include Apprenticeships, School Admissions, Prison Registers, and Workhouse Registers. The indexes and images are provided in cooperation with Find My Past.
Apprenticeships may contain the following information:
- Full Name
- Date of birth
- Name of master
- Place of business
- Master’s Occupation
School admissions may contain the following information:
- Date of admission
- Name of child
- Date of birth
- Name of parents or guardians
- Name of previous school
- Date of withdrawal
- Name of school sent to following withdrawal
Prison registers may contain the following information:
- Name of prisoner
- Crime committed
- Date of crime
- Summary of conviction
- Date and place of birth
- Physical description
Workhouse registers may contain the following information:
- Date of birth
- Admission date
- Discharge or death date
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Approximate year and place of birth
To search by index:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the wiki page [FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks].
What Do I Do Next?
When you have found the record that you are looking for, the following will help you in your research:
- Use the age to calculate the year of birth.
- Use the date of birth to search for a birth or baptism record.
- Use the names of the parents on a school admissions record to search for a marriage record.
- If your ancestor was married, search for a marriage record using their first name and surname, along with the names of parents.
- Use the residence (or last residence) to search for your ancestor in a census.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have served in the same workhouse.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
- Search the records of nearby localities.
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "England, Manchester, Miscellaneous Records, 1700-1916." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. From various Manchester collections. Databases and images. findmypast. http://www.findmypast.com : n.d. Citing Manchester Archives and Local Studies.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for England, Manchester, Miscellaneous Records, 1700-1916.|