Difference between revisions of "England Church Directories"
(add cat sort)
|Line 24:||Line 24:|
Revision as of 07:49, 24 July 2009
A church directory lists church ministers, dioceses, and parishes and can provide important information, including:
- Addresses for church officials.
- Lists of church jurisdictions and headquarters.
- Chronological lists of principal church officials.
- Brief biographies or career summaries of current ministers.
- Addresses of church schools or other institutions.
For an annual directory that lists all Church of England ministers, see:
- Crockford’s Clerical Directory. 95th Edition. London, England: Church House Publishing, 1997. (Family History Library book Ref 942 E4c.) This work is indexed by parish. Use it to obtain each minister’s name, address, and telephone number. Crockford’s has been produced annually since 1858. Previous editions can help you trace the career histories of former ministers. Earlier editions are on microfilm or microfiche in the Family History Library.
Similar directories for several other religions are also available. They are often organized by the church jurisdictional area. These directories may help you identify neighboring congregations of the same faith.
To find church directories, look in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
ENGLAND - CHURCH DIRECTORIES