Essex County, New Jersey Genealogy
Essex County, New Jersey genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Essex County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|Founded||March 7, 1683|
|Address|| Essex County Courthouse|
465 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Newark, NJ 07102
Phone: (973) 621-4920
Essex County Website
- 1 Essex County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- 2 Essex County, New Jersey Genealogical Resources
- 2.1 Bible
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.7 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.8 Gazetteers
- 2.9 Genealogy
- 2.10 Land and Property
- 2.11 Maps
- 2.12 Migration
- 2.13 Military
- 2.14 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.15 Newspapers
- 2.16 Occupations
- 2.17 Periodicals
- 2.18 Poorhouse, Almshouse
- 2.19 Probate
- 2.20 Repositories
- 2.21 Schools
- 2.22 Taxation
- 2.23 Vital Records
- 3 Essex County, New Jersey Web Sites
- 4 Essex County, New Jersey Places
- 5 Essex County, New Jersey References
Essex County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- 1675, part of East Jersey
- History of Essex County as stated on official Essex County, New Jersey government site
Created 1 March 1683 from the Colonial Lands. 
- 1710, New Barbadoes twp. to Bergen County
- 1741, part to Somerset County.
- 1822, water boundry defined
- 1837, part to Passaic County.
- 1857, part to Union County.
- 1871, Union County boundary clarified
- 1876, some changes with Union boundary
- 1882, Union County boundary further clarified
- 1891, Part of Millburn twp. to to Union County's Springfield twp
- 1892, more minor changes with Union boundary
- 1907, parts of Acquackanonk & Little Falls twps. of Passaic County to Montclair
- 1958, some of Springfield twp., Union County to here.
Essex County, New Jersey Genealogical Resources
- 1694 - Zabriskie, George Olin. "Resident of North-Eastern New Jersey in 1694," The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. 108, No. 3 (Jul. 1977):157-158. Digital version at New York Family History ($); FHL Book 974.7 B2n v. 108. List of residents in Dutch Reformed congregation of Acquackanonk Township and New Barbados.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- East Orange
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- United States Geographic Survey Place Names - GNIS for Essex County (over 1180 entries)
(may not always be present in alphabetic order on first try.)
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
Clerk of the Superior Court
Records Information Center
P.O. Box 967
Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
Phone: (609) 292-4978
Fax: (609) 777-0094
Essex County Courthouse
465 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Newark, NJ 07102
County Clerk has marriage records 1795-1879, divorce and court records from 1948 and naturalization records 1779-1929. City Clerks have birth and death records. County Surrogate has probate records. Register of Deeds has land records
"The Record Room is the repository for copies of all legal documents which have been recorded within the County since its creation in 1637. The public has access rights to these documents and are permitted to make searches.
The records are available for public inspection between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. By law, staff cannot conduct a title search, although upon request, the staff will familiarize the public with the indexing method and demonstrate how to use the books."
Family History Centers
Vital Records Office (revised as of 21 July 2005) (giving locations for birth certificates and phone numbers)
Essex County, New Jersey Web Sites
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Essex County
- The Essex County NJGenWeb Project, an member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
Essex County, New Jersey Places
Essex County, New Jersey References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content