Euxton, Lancashire Genealogy
Euxton is a village and chapelry in Leyland Parish. The village is pronounced /ˈɛkstən/ "Exton") and is situated just to the south of Leyland, and to the west of Chorley.
Euxton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1711 from and lying within the boundaries of Leyland ancient parish.
Unusually the parish church has no dedication but was founded in the 14th century although there is evidence of an even earlier structure underneath. The chief architectural features are the windows in the north and south walls. The piscina and sedile belong to the 14th century and four other windows also date from the 14th century.
Today, Euxton parish church is a grade 2 listed structure able to seat 191 people for services.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"EUXTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Chorley; containing 1562 inhabitants. This place was anciently possessed in succession, in whole or in part, by various families, among whom were the barons of Penwortham, the Lacys, Holands, Andertons, Ffaringtons, and Molyneuxs, and subsequently the Longworths, of Liverpool. The manorial rights are now vested in George Johnson Wainwright, Esq., of Runshaw Hall, who owns a large portion of the soil. The township lies on the road between Wigan and Preston, adjoins the township of Leyland on the south, and comprises 1888 acres of land; the surface is rather varied, and the scenery includes views of Rivington Pike, Chorley, &c. There are good stone-quarries, and a cotton-mill employing about 400 persons. The river Yarrow separates the township from Charnock-Richard, and the Bolton and Preston railway and North-Union railway have stations here. Euxton Hall was originally erected in the reign of Henry VIII.; the old mansion was pulled down, and the present built about 1739. Over the portal, and also on two old chimneypieces in the house, are to be seen the arms of the Molyneuxs and Andertons quartered; William Anderton, Esq., having married Mary, daughter of the fifth viscount Molyneux. The ceilings of the entrance-hall and staircase, richly ornamented by Concillio, are in good preservation, and the mansion has been considerably altered and enlarged by William Ince Anderton, Esq., the present possessor. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a house built in 1840; patrons, the Heirs of the Rev. J. Armetriding; impropriator, Mr. Anderton. The chapel was erected in 1513, was rebuilt in 1710, and enlarged in 1837. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and attached to Euxton Hall is a Roman Catholic chapel, built by the Anderton family in the last century, and re-edified in 1818. A school is endowed with property producing £26 per annum. A Roman Catholic school-house was built in 1846. Spout, in the township, was formerly the residence of the Bushells; and GleadHill House, now the residence of Peter Priestly, Esq., and Armetriding House, both existed in 1684. On the 14th of August, 1650, Charles II. honoured Euxton Hall with a visit."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 186-191. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50951 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Transcripts for this parish may be found online.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Index for the Census may be searched at FamilySearch Historical Records
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.