Everton St George, Lancashire Genealogy
Guide to Everton St George, Lancashire family history and genealogy. Parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
Everton St George was created a chapelry of Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish in 1814.
The name Everton is derived from the Saxon word eofor which meant "wild boar that lived in forests". Everton is an inner city area located just north of Liverpool city centre, with Vauxhall to the west, Kirkdale to the north and Anfield to the north east. The Liverpool entrance to the Kingsway Tunnel is located near the boundaries of this area.
Everton is an ancient settlement and like Liverpool, was one of the six un-named berewicks of West Derby. Until the late 18th century Everton was a small rural parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, but the rise in wealth of nearby Liverpool pushed wealthier merchants further afield to live. By the early 19th century however an increase in slums and demand for housing saw Everton began to be built up and in 1835, Everton became part of Liverpool.
Noted author Thomas de Quincy lived in Everton for some time in the early 19th century.
Along with neighbouring Vauxhall, Everton traditionally housed the city's Irish, Italian and Polish immigrants. Everton was to be the original site for the building of the Metropolitan Cathedral on St.Domingo road but this was abandoned because of financial constraints. The Cathedral was eventually located in the city centre close to the southern edge of Everton.
St George is a Grade I listed building and the earliest of three churches in Liverpool built by John Cragg, who used many components in cast iron which were made at his Mersey Iron Foundry. The other "cast iron" churches in Liverpool were St Michael's Church, Aigburth, Lancashire and St Philip's Church (since demolished) in Hardman Street.
The building of the church was enabled by an Act of Parliament, the St. George's Church, Everton Act, which was passed in 1813. The foundation stone was laid on 19 April 1813 and the church was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on 26 October 1814. The architect was Thomas Rickman and the church was built by John Cragg.
It is an active Anglican parish church in the Diocese of Liverpool, the Liverpool archdeaconry, and the Liverpool Northern deanery.
EVERTON, a township, in the parish of Walton on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S.division of Lancashire, 1 mile (N. N. E.) from Liverpool.The district church of St. George was erected in 1813. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Everton St. George chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Walton on the Hill to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JOIN = Joiner's Marriage Index (£)|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|EVERTON ST GEORGE Chapelry (1814) Indexes|
|WALTON ON THE HILL ST MARY THE VIRGIN PARISH (1586) Indexes (ancient parish containing EVERTON ST GEORGE Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Everton and comprising the whole ancient parish of Walton on the Hill to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the WALTON ON THE HILL PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306905.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Pollard, Richard; Nikolaus Pevsner (2006), The Buildings of England: Lancashire: Liverpool and the South-West, New Haven & London: Yale University Press, pp. 417–418, ISBN 0 300 10910 5
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 191-195. Date accessed: 12 August 2013.